Skilled Birth Injury Lawyers Come to Your Aid After a Medical Error
We help you and your family collect your rightful compensation
When a pregnant mother enters the hospital, she and her family expect to bring home a thriving, healthy baby. But a trip to the hospital can turn into a nightmare when negligent medical providers cause injures to newborns. Birth injuries by careless health professionals can result in permanent health complications for children and endless medical expenses for families. At Aaron M. Levine & Associates, our nationally recognized law firm regularly takes on medical providers who cause birth injuries. We fight for the rights of injured children and obtain the compensation families deserve.
Types of birth injuries caused by negligence
Research shows as many as 37 out of 1000 deliveries result in birth injuries. The most frequent trauma associated with births is damage to the scalp and skeleton of newborns. Prevailing types of birth injures are:
- Brachial Plexus injuries – The brachial plexus is a network of nerves that travel from the spinal cord through the body. Injuries to the brachial plexus stem from nerve damage that can range from mild stretches to complete tearing of the nerve root from the spinal cord. Another name for brachial plexus injury is Erb’s Palsy.
- Cerebral Palsy – Cerebral palsy is a group of disorders that cause impaired brain and nervous system function. The condition can result from an infection or lack of oxygen to the fetus. Children with cerebral palsy commonly have trouble moving, eating, learning, hearing and seeing.
- Spina Bifida – Spina bifida is a congenital condition in which the tissue that develops into the brain and spinal cord does not securely close before birth. The condition can result in impaired mobility and functioning. Spinal bifida can be detected during an ultrasound in the early stages of pregnancy.
- Brain injuries – Brain damage in newborns can occur from various complications during labor and delivery. Common causes are oxygen deprivation and reduced blood flow.
- Shoulder Dystocia – Shoulder dystocia is not an injury in itself, but an emergency condition that can lead to numerous injuries. The condition occurs when the infant’s shoulders become impacted against the bones of the mother’s pelvis. Inadequate responses to the condition can result in newborn fractures, spinal cord injuries, hypoxic brain injury or death.
- Persistent Pulmonary Hypertension of the Newborn (PPHN) –This ailment arises from the failure of a newborn’s circulatory transition after birth. Instead of breathing air correctly, oxygen does not reach the baby’s bloodstream. At least 25 percent of newborns with PPHN suffer serious a neurological injury.
In addition to severe birth injuries, medical malpractice also can cause the wrongful death of babies and their mothers. Often, medical professionals attempt to convince relatives that such injuries or deaths were unpreventable. The attorneys of Aaron M. Levine & Associates know better. We have a qualified team of medical specialists and attorneys who thoroughly investigate birth injuries and determine what really happened. If we find a standard of care was breached, we hold those at fault responsible.
What leads to birth injuries?
Health professionals are entrusted with caring for patients and keeping them safe from needless injury. When medical providers violate that duty, they are liable for the harm they’ve caused. Birth injuries can occur from various forms of negligence and poor care. This includes:
- Insufficient fetal monitoring
- Inadequate use of medical instruments such as forceps and vacuum extractors
- Poor medical supervision of lower level staff
- Inexperienced providers
- Failure to detect fetal abnormalities
- Excessive pulling and twisting of infants during delivery
- Failure to timely prevent, diagnose or treat conditions
- Negligent prescribing
- Negligent high-risk birth management
Washington D.C. Birth Injury Lawyers Help You Obtain Optimal Results
An injury during birth can be life altering for your child and your family. Complications during birth frequently result in ongoing medical costs and a lifetime of health care. If your child was injured during delivery, you require skilled lawyers who can competently examine your case. Aaron M. Levine & Associates have decades of experience tackling complex birth injury cases and ensuring that victims receive the recovery they are entitled. Our office is based in Washington D.C., but we help families across the nation. Let our qualified legal team start assisting you today by calling 888-564-9305.
Contact our firm to schedule an initial consultation.
Call us at (202) 833-8040 and talk to one of our professional attorneys, doctors or nurses.